Most concerns with clothing are connected with wearing the appropriate clothing for the appropriate environment. Something that you wear to a picnic may not be appropriate at church; or something that can be appropriately worn by one who is small-breasted may not be appropriate for someone who is large-breasted. Therefore, there are few hard and fast rules for dressing to the glory of God. The first thing you do is examine your motives for wearing the outfit: glory to God or glory to yourself? The second thing you do is examine whether the outfit is revealing. The third thing you do is ask a mature woman of God if it is something that affirms your beauty as a daughter of the King.
Guys around you everywhere are trying to glorify God with their thoughts so be sensitive to the fact that they are visual creatures and most guys struggle to not lust after a girl who is dressed inappropriately—help your brothers worship the Lord with their eyes and minds! Don’t hide your figure but don’t show it off either!
Many fashions, if they are combined with layering techniques, can be stylishly God-glorifying:
- If a shirt is made of thin material or it is low cut, then wear another shirt or a tank top underneath it. Tank tops can be bought for $10-20 and used in many situations.
- If a shirt is white (or light) and there is any chance of rain then wear a tank top underneath.
- If a shirt tends to ride up so as to show some midriff then wear another longer shirt under it. Sometimes a backpack causes a shirt to ride up—so be attentive!
- The outline of your brazier should never be detected (an indication that the shirt is too tight) nor should it show through the material (an indication that the material is too thin). Your brazier straps should never show either—buy a T-back brazier or pin the straps inside your shirt. A lined brazier is recommended in cold environments.
- Spaghetti strap tank tops are only appropriate in some atmospheres: picnics, beach/lake gatherings, sporting events, etc. Even then, if the tank top reveals cleavage, it is inappropriate. Keep in mind that these tank tops may not work on every body type; therefore, if you are large breasted please consider not wearing them. Be sensitive to your Christian brothers as many of them stumble over these when worn inappropriately.
- Off the shoulder shirts are sexy, not cute—don’t wear them.
- Your cleavage and midriff should not show ever. Be attentive when you wear shirts that tend to reveal either of these areas.
- Be careful when you bend over, make sure your shirt does not lay open.
- Be careful that your blouse does not gap at the buttons.
When you buy pants and skirts do the test: stand, sit, cross legs, bend over, and squat! These positions test length, waistline, and tightness.
- When you buy jeans:
- Always take a belt with you—when you try on jeans wear a belt with them. If, in any position, your upper rear-end should show then do not buy them.
- Jeans that do not show your rear-end but may come close need to be worn with a long shirt that covers the waistline.
- Your panties, nor your panty line, should ever be detected. If your panty line shows, then buy a bigger size or wear different panties.
Skirts and Dresses
- Skirts and dresses should come closer to the knee than to your rear-end. Knee good…thigh bad.
- Slits in skirts and dresses can be sewn shut when they are too high up your leg.
- Sundresses may be appropriate to wear in the sun, but, if the straps are thin, wear a sweater/jacket or tie a sweater around your neck when you are inside.
The goal is to be attractive by being feminine and not to misuse your femininity to be a temptress.